Adult Confirmation Preparation
Are you an adult Catholic, 18 years or older, who has not been confirmed? St. John the Apostle Parish offers Adult Confirmation classes during February/March every year. In 2020, classes will be held on Sundays, February 16, February 23, March 1 and March 8, from 10:00 am – 11:30 am.
Please pre-register by email - Deacon Ron - firstname.lastname@example.org.
You will need to complete an Adult Sacrament Registration Form and bring copies of the certificates verifying that you have received your Baptism and First Communion. You will need a sponsor who has received all his/her sacraments. Adults will be confirmed at the Cathedral of St. Raymond in Joliet on April 19, 2020. There is no fee for these classes.
Sacrament of Confirmation
It is evident from its celebration that the effect of the Sacrament of Confirmation is the special outpouring of the Holy Spirit as once granted to the apostles on the day of Pentecost.
From this fact, Confirmation brings an increase and deepening of baptismal grace:
- it roots us more deeply in the divine filiation which makes us cry, "Abba! Father!" (Romans 8:15);
- it unites us more firmly to Christ;
- it increases the gifts of the Holy Spirit in us;
- it renders our bond with the Church more perfect;
- it gives us a special strength of the Holy Spirit to spread and defend the faith by word and action as true witnesses of Christ, to confess the name of Christ boldly, and never to be ashamed of the Cross:
Recall then that you have received the spiritual seal, the spirit of wisdom and understanding, the spirit of right judgment and courage, the spirit of knowledge and reverence, the spirit of holy fear in God's presence. Guard what you have received. God the Father has marked you with his sign; Christ the Lord has confirmed you and has placed his pledge, the Spirit, in your hearts.
Sacramental Preparation for Confirmation for Youth - see Religious Education for Children
The Sacrament of Confirmation as described by Fr. Raphael Mary of the Catholic Newman Center at the University of Washington.